Zoom crazy

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 20:57:57 EDT 2020

I took a ham test at the FCC HQ in downtown Baltimore.  It was around
1983 or so and I was moving up from Novice.  I think I only had 1 CW
contact, I just wasn't good at it.  So I came out of the FCC office and
walked over to the Maryland Science Center where the BRATS (Baltimore
Radio Amateur Television Society) had a station set up.  Part of the
station was a Amateur UHF TV rig, tubes IIRC.  So John W1??? was manning
the station at the time and he set me up on a chair facing the camera.
I called CQ a couple of times and oh my goodness somebody came back to
me, whereupon I dropped the mic and just stared!  I recovered (with
prompting) and soon was chatting away.  I can't remember the guys call
sign, but he was called "Glenn Bernie Bernie" as his station was in
Glenn Bernie and his name was of course Bernie.  I had a number of ATV
(Amateur TV) contacts over the years often working through the BRATS ATV
repeater, which covered most of Baltimore.  I had old B+W security
cameras with tubes  in them, wow those were the days eh?  We used to
dream that one day we could all talk over little hand held TV stations...

Now we is in the future and you can connect with lots of people all over
the country with a handheld device.  I my self being old school prefer
my desk top with a duel screen monitor setup at 3 or 4 cameras.  I've
been running 2 Zoom sessions a week with some old college friends.  It's
small enough to be fun. Just recently I happened upon some cool software
that will work with Zoom via a virtual camera setup.  It is called OBS
Studio and it allows you to switch scenes in and out of the stream
including text overlays, split screen and play recorded files.  It
really is fun.  It is open source which means a no cost download and
ain't that hard to learn https://obsproject.com/

I'm working on a little show to show a waterfall screen of a radio
contact.  It might even wow my old buddies, probably not, Old dog and
new tricks...