Fate of Arecibo no longer up in the air (was: Re: looks like Arecibo is down for the count)

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Dec 1 14:00:16 EST 2020

Looks like the remaining cables failed last night or this morning.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/12/arecibo-radio-telescopes-massive-instrument-platform-has-collapsed/ <https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/12/arecibo-radio-telescopes-massive-instrument-platform-has-collapsed/>

Photos:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/arecibo-telescope-collapses-ending-57-year-run <https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/arecibo-telescope-collapses-ending-57-year-run>

-r