SoftRock RXTX Ensemble Transceiver Kit

n4tlf n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Mon Mar 22 17:03:45 EDT 2021

I've built many of the Softrock kits, including this one (starting
around 2006 or so).  Most of the ones I did were the 80/40 variety.
These days, they are rather old SDR technology, but still work.  There
may have been articles on them in back issues of the AMRAD Newsletter.
A Google search on Softrocks, QSD SDR, etc should help.

This info is not precise, but it gives you an idea.  While Softrocks are
an early SDR entry, most of the "better" SDRs these days use direct
sampling instead.  The hardware is only half the radio in this case, the
software is just as (or maybe more) important.

The Softrocks are a QSD/QSE design, the software on the connected
computer must be able to handle audio I/Q signals.  An early software
was/is "Rocky" by Alex VE3NEA (I think).  It was simple but worked
pretty well.  There are a LOT of other SDR programs that drive these
QSD/QSE radios.  PoweSDR (originally from Flex Radio) is another popular
SDR software package - among many.

The QSD (Quadrature Sampling Detector or Decoder) for receive basically
creates two audio frequency signals (I and Q) from the RF carrier, which
are 90 degrees out of phase, and requires the software to combine them
properly.  The QSE (Quadrature Sampling Encoder or Exciter) hardware
does the reverse, it takes in audio I/Q samples, and puts out a
hopefully clean RF signal.

The main issue with QSDs and especially QSEs is that they must be fine
tuned so the I/Q signals are of exactly phased and amplitude level
combined to reduce images and carrier leakage.  The Softrock hardware is
rather marginal on these problems.  I would NOT plan to run a Softrock
rig into a high powered transmit amplifier, it will be very marginal on
both carrier leakage and multiple images, possibly failing FCC rules.

For a more in-depth discussion of QSD/QSE hardware, look for a series of
four articles in QST in 2002/2003 or so, by Gerald Youngblood of Flex
Radio Systems (A Software Defined Radio For the Masses).  That's a good
start.

73, Terry, N4TLF