RFI in metal working

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 13:16:54 EST 2021

TIG welders and plasma torches can have a feature used to help start the
arc with out touching the metal.  It is called HF start.  In this video
on YouTube a guy is building a a CNC table for a plasma torch.  He runs
into RFI big time on his first build. I've read that you must ground
your TIG welding table to avoid getting shocked and he mentions that and
how he grounds his new CNC table.  I have yet to figure out the
frequencies that these machines use.  I would like to avoid welding the
end of anything that looks like a half wavelength at that frequency!

https://youtu.be/9iv2rWcOocc?t=262