First Tool Path

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 00:07:24 EST 2022

I bought a "Light Machines" CNC surplus from Prince William County
Schools. It uses a "Sherline" mill and dates from the mid 90's.  You can
get older education CNC machines real cheap as the controllers are way
out of date. Controller boards are pretty cheap these days so you trash
the old controller and connect the stepper motors to the new controller
and you are half way there.  I use LinuxCNC to control the new
controller and it is connected with a parallel cable (printer port).
These mills are very small and have aluminum beds.  I wouldn't try to
cut much steel with it, but aluminum is possible.  A 1/4 inch endmill is
the largest I would use.