CI-V and the IC-706 MkIIG

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Feb 18 12:17:43 EST 2022

Is anyone else running an IC-706 MkIIG and controlling it with FLRIG, optimally on Linux?
I'm looking to compare notes.  Datapoints from other programs are welcome too.

I have an IC-703 (original series, not the "Plus" with 6m on it, despite a front panel that says "Plus),  s/n 18011xx)
The release date for the original 703 per Rigpix is 2002.  Their database does not discuss 703 vs 703 Plus.

I also have an IC-706 MkIIG, s/n 15021xx.
The release dates for the 706, 706MkII, and 706MkIIg respectively are 1995, 1997, and 1999 respectively.

So with that as background, it might not be surprising if the CI-V code in the IC-703 was a little more advanced than in the IC-706MkIIG.  But it's a little shocking just how much less capability I'm seeing here.

For instance, I can do CAT PTT over CI-V for the 703.  On the 706 MkIIG, on the other hand, that option is grayed out and I can only do RTS-based PTT (which fortunately works on both the 703 and the 706).

Likewise, there are several sliders for things like RF gain and power out which I can tweak on the 703 over CAT/CI-V but can not on the 706MkIIg.  They're grayed out in the settings too.  Screen shots of the FLRIG user interface and config are attached for both the 703 and the 706 MkIIg.

I'm running digital modes (particularly Joe Taylor modes) remote from the living room over VNC and would really love to be able to tweak stuff like RF gain remotely and am wondering if I'm looking at a different generation of the CI-V interface/microprocessor code, or if the capabilities that FLRIG believes the MkIIg has are subtly wrong as the notion of what it's capable of has been carried forward from previous iterations of the 706.

Any thoughts or clues (including pointers to a matrix of generational and per-rig capabilities for CI-V) would be super appreciated.  I've found the RIGCAT XML files on Sourceforge (!!) https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/xmls/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/xmls/> which may or may not be the source of truth for FLRIG.  Took a lot of digging but the XML description/howto is at http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/rig_xml_page.html <http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/rig_xml_page.html>

Examining them side by side shows that while CMDPTT is set to "true" in both, the PTTON and PTTOFF are definitely missing from the 706MkIIG's XML definitions

73 and TNX de AI4UC

IC706MkIIg screen shots:

IC703 screen shots: