ARRL digital publications stuck firmly in the 90s

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Oct 3 15:43:13 EDT 2022

Epub is a bit constraining.  I want stuff to work 30 years from now for reading back issues when I'm in my 80s and want to complain about the latest technology and things not being like they used to be!  I have a high degree of confidence that PDF will still be readable or convertible in some sense several decades hence.  And all this with no cost to the League for maintaining servers full of old issues.

Copyright is a legal construct - if they're worried about DRM and people pirating copies of NCJ to pass around to all their buddies, let me just say that's filed under "problems they wish they had".  If they are really concerned about it to the point where they wanted to spend money on "fixing" it, they could figure out a way to visibly watermark the cover or digitally watermark it with a subscriber's name to discourage sharing.  I would say that the juice is not worth the squeeze and I think IEEE agrees with me.

-r