antennas from scrap computers

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Sun Oct 30 15:53:17 EDT 2022

You can fit a whole bunch of 13 centimeter band antennas in a small
plastic jar.  That's just what I did when I scrapped out some older
laptops.  The antennas are usually behind the display screen so when it
is being used the antennas sit up a bit from your desk.  The tiny coax
runs behind the screen and next to the hinges to the WiFi card on the
laptop's motherboard.

It looks to me like some of these antennas are J Poles, I hope you can
see where I circled the matching coax location.

My application for these antennas is as  replacements for busted WiFi
antennas on a DJI Phantom 3 drones video and telemetry download radio.
I bought the drone used and it had been in a crash, so I got a good
price.  The original antennas had their cables yanked apart. The
originals were panel antennas and go used for  $20 ~ $30. I might try
both kinds and see how they work in the crazy drone environment. Drones
move around so polarity and pattern have to be figured into the
antennas.  There is a lot of ham input into the drone hobby.  Having
almost 40 years experience playing with antennas sure helps...

Antennas