Fwd: SFI Parallax e-Newsletter — January 2023

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 19:58:35 EST 2023

I love this stuff

-------- Forwarded Message --------

SFI Parallax e-Newsletter — January 2023 The latest from the Santa Fe
Institute: Safety lessons from nature; Herb Gintis; International Summer
School applications open; Ted Chiang; and more
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/santafe/sfi-parallax-e-newsletter-january-2023?e=86b1e44300>

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=7bb8196413&e=86b1e44300>

    Parallax Ideas
    Mother Nature’s 7 Lessons for a Safer World
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=c43f7954a3&e=86b1e44300>

SFI's Stephanie Forrest, Andrea Graham, and Simon Levin teamed up with
other researchers from ASU, Princeton, and the National Institutes of
Health on this op-ed for /Nautilus/ about the defense strategies human
society might glean from a closer look at animal immune systems.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=37d2866975&e=86b1e44300>

    SFI Community
    In Memoriam: Herb Gintis
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=f7a45ed566&e=86b1e44300>

Herb Gintis, who drew on a variety of disciplines to study human
society, passed away on January 5, 2023, in Northampton, MA, at the age
of 82. He had been an SFI External Professor since 2001 and was a
professor emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where
he taught since 1974.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=fc4db5625a&e=86b1e44300>

    SFI Education
    2023 Complexity-GAINs summer school
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=9448abe162&e=86b1e44300>

Applications are open through March 1, 2023, for the
Complexity–GAINs International Summer School, to be held in Cambridge,
UK on August 13-25.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=994e542788&e=86b1e44300>

    SFI Community
    Ted Chiang joins SFI Miller Scholars
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=a9e718151d&e=86b1e44300>

Science-fiction writer Ted Chiang — author of 12 short stories, two
novellas, and recipient of 27 major writing awards — joins SFI's Miller
Scholars.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=e0cf1ff7d8&e=86b1e44300>

    Research News
    New Journal: Collective Intelligence
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=4192902317&e=86b1e44300>

/Collective Intelligence, /a new online open-source journal, launched
its inaugural issue last fall. The editors hope the journal will help
stimulate the discovery of the fundamental principles that underlie
collective intelligence.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=9aa3fc9b5e&e=86b1e44300>

    Research News
    New approach to epidemic modeling could speed up pandemic
    simulations
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=60baaef205&e=86b1e44300>

The world is rife with rankings and orderings, but these hierarchies are
only observed after the fact. That makes it difficult to know the true
rankings of a system. In a recent paper published in /Physical Review
E/, SFI's George Cantwell and Cris Moore offer a new model to evaluate
rankings.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=7cd8c6e1db&e=86b1e44300>

    Research News
    Lou Schuyler Internal Grants fund new postdoctoral research
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=ef14b68ed8&e=86b1e44300>

In December 2022, SFI opened applications for its Postdoctoral Fellows
to apply for funding through the Lou Schuyler Internal Postdoctoral
Research Grant Fund. Now in its second round, the fund offers SFI
Postdoctoral Fellows up to $15,000 per grant to explore new areas of
research or expand the scope of their current projects.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=1d7dc0c254&e=86b1e44300>

    Research News
    Apply today for the Collective Intelligence
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=bd47c3ef11&e=86b1e44300> Symposium
    &Short Course
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=b8f560b8f5&e=86b1e44300>

Priority applications for the three-day Collective Intelligence
Symposium & Short Course close on Feb. 1, 2023.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=485120b30f&e=86b1e44300>

    Research News
    Parallax
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=b7090218ac&e=86b1e44300>

The Winter 2022-2023 Parallax newsletter is now available online.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=d2683eead7&e=86b1e44300>

    SFI in the Media
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=818eefba7d&e=86b1e44300>

Scientific American's cover story, "The Search for Extraterrestrial Life
as We Don’t Know It," highlights SFI Professor Chris Kempes, with an
introduction to scaling theory and how scaling laws apply to biology.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=6a0ae8c6c1&e=86b1e44300>

    Reader Survey
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=0b7fa8e893&e=86b1e44300>

We love to hear from our readers and listeners, and we have a few
questions for you. Please take 10 minutes to give us some feedback. As
thanks, we'll share an exclusive set of SFI photos with you, and you can
enter a drawing to receive a signed copy of an SFI Press volume.
Complete the survey >>
<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=eb4784cccb&e=86b1e44300>

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=2b9b7be509&e=86b1e44300>

    Achievements

SFI External Professors Amos Golan, Matt Jackson, and Doug Erwin have
all been named 2022 AAAS Fellows
<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=8994771410&e=86b1e44300>.
Congratulations!

  Complexity Podcast

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=a0d34c9c24&e=86b1e44300>

    Episode 99
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=b11b2d1161&e=86b1e44300>

Alison Gopnik on Child Development, Elderhood, Caregiving, and A.I.

<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=3a2b867ae0&e=86b1e44300>

    Episode 100
    <https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=315e416531&e=86b1e44300>

Dani Bassett & Perry Zurn on The Neuroscience & Philosophy of Curious Minds

*Receive this email from a friend?* *Subscribe
<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=035e0fb227&e=86b1e44300>** to
receive these monthly research news updates, or announcements
about SFI's community events, education programs, and new books from the
SFI Press.*

Follow us:

Twitter
<https://santafe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=79c079dcc0c23b9582f9727c8&id=0e9c15fe8f&e=86b1e44300>