Ultra Low Noise Transistor

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 2 13:15:00 CST 2012

Alberto,

Well, here is another from Triquint.  Thanks for the info.  In addition
there is a line of preamps from MiniCircuits with similar performance.
We seem to now have a smorgasbord of devices to choose from.  And our
best cheers for the holidays this year across the pond.

Old timers recall the great care we crafted a 2 meter converter built
with a 417A tube or a 416B if we were seeking that magic 3 dB noise
figure.  With those tubes we had to carefully tune to the frequency of
use.   Now we see broadband sub 1 dB noise figures in consumer equipment
such as cell phones and GPS receivers.

Imagine, sub 1 dB noise figure transistors in a bag of 25 for less than
$60.  Times have brought us ever better parts and toys.  I have a box of
416B tubes in my basement that are best used to look at got reminiscent
memories.  Wait, I will give them out to attendees to the Holiday party
on December 14.

Frank K0BRA