Passing on a plea for help for a public service event...

Iain McFadyen ki4hlv at gmail.com
Fri May 3 08:32:09 CDT 2013

In case anyone is able to assist... the walk is on SATURDAY.

*************************
MADXRA <madxra at madxra.org>
> Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:39 PM
> Subject: [FARC] A FEW MORE OPS NEEDED FOR SATURDAY!
>
> Due to some last minute changes, we are in desperate need of radio
operators for
> the Hike Across Maryland at:
>
> Washington Monument        0900-1230
> Weaverton          1300-1700  and  1700-2045
>
> Please contact me ASAP if you can help! Both locations are drive-to so
you can
> operate from your vehicle. All of the details are below and in the
attachments.
> Please forward this to other local ham reflectors. Thanks.
>
> Jeff KB3FIO
>

> Subject: Hike Across MD Assignments
>

> Here are the amateur radio checkpoint assignments for this Saturday's
Hike
> Across Maryland (see also attachments):

Pen Mar                0500-0630            Tim N3VNG
High Rock            0530-0745            Tom K3RTW
Raven Rock          0600-0900            Mark AB3KS & Herb K3HCP
Cowell Shelter      0630-0930            Justin
K2ZBM                         0930-1230        Ron KB3SYA
Boonsboro Rd.      0845-1345            Rick N3RO
Washington Mon.  0900-1230
open                                      1230-1530        Danny K3PDK
Lambs Knoll        1030-1400            Larry KB3WRT
1400-1700      Joe KB3LNM
Gathland              1130-1530            Travis
AB3RD                        1530-1930        Ray KB3VWK
Weaverton            1300-1700
open                                     1700-2045        open
Harpers Ferry        1300-1700          Jeff
KB3FIO                           1700-2045        Curtis KB3WHX

> If there are any problems with these assignments, please let me know ASAP.
>
> Our Mission - To assist the Mountain Club of Maryland officials by
relaying
> vital hike status reports and summon emergency services for injured or
sick
> hikers.
>
> Operations - While most of the checkpoints require only a mobile 2M rig
as you
> can work from your vehicle, a few of the locations may require a 100-200
yd.
> hike into the checkpoint (High Rock, Cowell Shelter, Lambs Knoll), so
some type
> of 5W HT or portable rig with a good antenna is needed for these. Dress
> appropriately for the weather and bring your own food and water and a
notebook.
> Wear some type of bright clothing or safety vest and identify yourself to
the
> hike officials when you arrive. We will be utilizing the Target repeater
system
> (www.madxra.org/target.htm), and you should plan on entering Frederick,
Clear
> Springs, Berkeley Springs and Charles Town freqs. into your memories as
you
> sometimes never know which you will be able to hit the best. You can also
use
> the 70cm repeaters if you like, and 146.580 simplex sometimes works well
for
> short range communications. Use ITU phonetics when necessary. We will not
be
> using APRS this time around.
>
> Plan on arriving 1/2 hr. before your shift to allow time for setting up.
Please
> use tactical calls (Boonsboro, Gathland, etc.) appropriate for your
location.
> There will be a Net Control in charge during this event, but you are
allowed to
> contact another checkpoint directly. Try and keep your communications
brief as
> emergencies can occur at any time. You will be required to remain at your
post
> until all hikers have checked into the next checkpoint, and then only
after Net
> Control has released you.  A "sweep" hiker will follow everyone to
> check for stragglers. Make sure you know when he or she passes your
location. As
> some hikers drop out, it is vital that the hiker's number be relayed to
Net