Please help decode this audio file!

w3qx at hatfield.com w3qx at hatfield.com
Tue Mar 25 00:17:11 CDT 2014

The IARU describes a range 146.39 to 146.6 MHz with 12 kHz bandwidth,
generally,not referencing repeaters.

The ARRL at <http://www.arrl.org/band-plan> represents a frequency
range of 146.40 to 146.58 MHz as "simplex."  No bandwidth guidance.
And at the end of the 2 Meter table, there is this footnote:

>Notes: The frequency 146.40 MHz is used in some areas as a repeater
>input. This band plan has been proposed by the ARRL VHF-UHF Advisory
>Committee.

The T-MARC plan for VHF simplex is slightly different; see page
<http://www.tmarc.org/bandplan.html>:

>146.415-146.595 Voice simplex (NO repeater or digital operations)

For reference, a representation of area VHF simplex:

146.415
146.430
146.445
146.460
146.475
146.490
146.505
146.520
146.535
146.550
146.565
146.580
146.595

T-MARC is about repeaters.  Repeater coordination in this upper part
of VHF uses 15 KHz spacing, indexed from 146.01 MHz.

With the above list, I did the same to get 13 steps of simplex frequencies.

Like ARRL, T-MARC is silent on explicit bandwidth.  Nontheless, for
illustration only, assume full 15 kHz occupation, assume perfect
separation, and assume starting the steps from the correct frequency
value.  Result is:  the plan appears to mean that outside of the the
range 146.4075 to 146.6025 MHz, voice FM simplex users should be
undetectable.  Period.

Correct?

Best regards, William W3QX

At 9:44 PM -0400 3/24/14, Gary Chatters WA9ZZZ wrote:
>It was D-STAR data (according to someone, not me, who did manage to decode
>[...]
>
>The Ashton repeater has this problem from time to time, although it
>is usually analog FM users.  The ARRL band plan says simplex
>frequencies in the 146 range start at 146.40, but there are foot
>notes indicating local variations.
>[...]

  -30-