Movie about Alan Turing

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 26 07:54:04 CST 2014

We went to see the movie "Imitation Game" about Alan Turing.  It was in
the new theatre in Dulles Town Center.  The seats were luxurious and
only two seats together remained 30 minutes prior to show time.

The movie concentrated on his work on solving the Enigma with a machine
of his design. Other descriptions I've read of that work left me with
the understanding others were more involved in the design than was shown
here.

I also wonder about the machine itself which seemed to be designed to
solve the 3 rotor version of Enigma and I thought the Germans had gone
to four and then five rotors during the war.  The detail of the machine
suggests that someone with some real knowledge did the design for the
movie and someone that expert would have known how many rotors and how
they moved.

Anyway, it is a good movie to go see if you have a chance.  It seemed
too geeky to attract a sold out crowd and it will probably not last too
long before being pulled from theatres and put out on DVD.  But then it
was being shown to a neighbourhood of people that worked for CIA and
contractors.

Frank K0BRA