Synthetic Matching for LF antennas.

hal halfei@erols.com
Wed, 27 May 1998 22:09:43 -0400

Tacos seems to be down!  Two messages were returned to me after a few
days. Any info?

Continuing with the discussion on synthesizing phase differences between
voltage and current... suppose you have a current and voltage waveform
out of phase by 90 degrees.
One is at a maximum when the other crosses the zero.  Let the current
lead the voltage. When the voltage crosses the zero line the current is
at its maximum. What does this mean?

When the voltage is zero shouldn't the current be zero too. Even for
that brief instant.
If current is charge per unit time and voltage is analogus to force
("pressure") what
does it mean when there is maximum pressure (voltage) when no charge is
flowing?

The same oddities occur if you reverse the two and let the voltage lead
the current. Here,
the voltage is at maximum when the current is zero for an instant. What
goes on here?
When the voltage is diving down toward the zero line current is racing
toward its maximum.
If indeed there is a brief "off" period when a zero is crossed wouldn't
it generate a brief
switching transient?  I've never heard of this so I assume that no such
effect has ever
been measured.  Somewhere there must be a fiction.

Your last message said we should start by figuring out how to generate
rf with I and E in phase.
This is a good starting point. The heart of this discussion lies in
understanding reactance
and thereby understanding impedance. Even so, the more I try to
understand antennas, the more
I am baffled by it.  If it isn't some kind of LC circuit with large
fields then what is it?