K9AY Antenna - Remotely Variable Termination

Clifford Buttschardt cbuttsch@slonet.org
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:48:55 -0800 (PST)

Good comments.  I just built a variable termination for another fellow who
has the K9AY already performing.  I used an old fashioned RAYSISTOR,
something the Raytheon sold many years ago.  A homemade termination was
also built using a grain of wheat bulb coupled to a Radio Shack CdS cell
with a drop of clear salad oil!  This worked even better as the ON
resistance was much lower.  Both devices were shunted with a 1500 ohm
resistor which produces a high resistance limit.  In the latter case, the
variable termination is to be used with a Flag or Pennant antenna on 160
meters.  Incandescent lamps appear better as they do not produce RF noise.
Cliff Buttschardt  K7RR/W6HDO