AMSAT Phase 3D DC Vibe Tour Sked!

Pat Kilroy pat.kilroy@gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:01:32 -0400

AMSAT PHASE 3D DC VIBRATION TOUR SCHEDULE

The AMSAT P3D vibe schedule is changing fast because with all the
HST and EOS-1 space hardware competing for time in environmental
testing at GSFC, P3D is kind of riding on "stand by" right now.

You are invited to this evening's Goddard Amateur Radio Club
(GARC) meeting starting at 5:30 p.m. at the WA3NAN club site.  By
6:15 p.m. a group will break for the GSFC Building 7 vibration
facility.  Cameras and flashes are okay but attendance must
be limited to *adult* U.S. citizens with legal picture ID.  No
RSVP is required under these conditions.

There are TWO additional tentative P3D "tour" opportunities.  One
is this Friday, July 23 at 3 p.m. and then again at 6 p.m.  For
the Friday tours, all should meet at the guard shack at the GSFC
main gate on Greenbelt Road no later than 15 minutes before tour
time.

Please note that all tour arrangements are tentative based on
a number of constraints, including critical P3D work such as
attaching the solar panels and vibe table availability.  P3D
at this moment is in an acoustic chamber in queue for the
vibration tables.  Watch the AMSAT-DC e-mail list closely
to check for last minute changes, otherwise you may show up
and the tour date or time had changed!  To subscribe to the
AMSAT-DC list -- even for a just few days is okay -- go to
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/listserv/menu.html and the Mailing
List services link there.  It's all automated so subscribing
and unsubscribing is a snap!

DIRECTIONS

Talk-in is on 146.835 MHz FM WA3NAN/R.

Coordinates, lat/lon:  DD MM SS.S    DD MM SS.S

WA3NAN club station  N 38 59 57.2, W076 50 47.6
GSFC Main Gate       N 38 59 30.9, W076 51 08.5
GSFC Building 7      N 38 59 54.1, W076 50 59.6

Closest APRS digi is N3IYI (Bob) in Lanham, MD (3 miles away).

>From Washington, DC:
Take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Route 295) North to Greenbelt
Road (Route 193).  Take Greenbelt Road East for approximately two
miles.  The main gate guard shack is on the left at the first traffic
light after Cipriano Road.  Visitors to WA3NAN should continue on
to the next traffic light and turn left onto Soil Conservation Road.
The GARC facility is on the right (Gate 10) after the second traffic
light.  Can't miss WA3NAN club antenna farm.

>From Baltimore:
Take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Route 295) South to the
Beltsville Agricultural Research Center.  Exit at Powder Mill Road
and follow the signs to the Goddard Visitor Center.  WA3NAN is on
the left (Gate 10) across from the large cleanroom building bearing
the NASA "meatball" logo.  For the GSFC main gate, continue past the
turn for the Visitor Center to the next traffic light (Greenbelt
Road).  Turn right on Greenbelt Road, then turn right at the next
traffic light to enter the main gate.

>From Virginia:
Take the Capitol Beltway.  From either the inner or outer loop,
exit to the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Maryland Route 295)
North.  Then follow the directions "From Washington, D.C." above.

Other Info and Maps:
http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/vc/info/info.htm
http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/vc/events/vc-cal.htm
http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/welcome/gsfcmap/gsfcarea.htm

Please re-read the info above about the contingencies that
you may encounter in attempting a visit.  Remember that
the schedule can change in a moment's notice.

Other Links:
W3IWI PHOTOS http://www.clark.net/pub/tac/p3d.htm HOT ONES!
GARC STATION http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/www/garc-home-page.html

Before visiting to Greenbelt you may wish to visit the AMSAT
Phase 3D web site at http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/phase3d.html
to get the latest scoop to show the AMSAT team that you have been
staying abreast of their very hard work.  The team here includes
Lou, Stan, Dick, Rick, Bob, Chuck & Jay.  Please memorize their
names, offer them your verbal support, and thank them madly.

Sincerely,

Pat WD8LAQ

At 05:50 PM 7/20/99 -0400, SCHULTZ@cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
>Amsat's Phase 3D satellite is presently at NASA Goddard Space Flight
>Center in Greenbelt to undergo vibration testing. The satellite team
>from Florida has spent the past two days assembling the spacecraft
>into its final launch configuration to prepare it for the shake test.
>Prior to the shake test its fuel tanks will be filled with isopropal
>alcohol to simulate the mass of rocket fuel that will be carried on
>the actual launch.
>
>The test schedule is very uncertain, the team hopes to complete
>the test and be ready to ship everything back to Florida by this
>weekend, but other test activites at Goddard, most notably the
>preparations for October's Hubble Space Telescope service mission,
>may cause the schedule to slip into next week.
>
>If any local Amsat folks or other interested persons would like
>a chance to inspect Phase 3D in person while it is here, please
>contact myself (n8fgv@amsat.org) or Pat Kilroy (wd8laq@amsat.org),
>we will try to make arrangments to get you in to Goddard if
>possible. We do not presently have plans for a public open
>house event because of the short notice and the uncertainty of
>the testing schedule. If the satellite is in the test chamber
>there may not be very much to see from outside. We will post
>any updates to amsat-dc as we learn more about the schedule.
>
>I regret that because of Goddard security regulations, this
>offer is limited to persons who are US citizens only.
>
>Dan Schultz N8FGV

Patrick L. Kilroy                                                WK
SSPP Hitchhiker I&T Lead Engineer  Phone:  301-286-1984
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center   Fax:    301-286-1673
Building 5, Mail Code 568          E-mail: pat.kilroy@gsfc.nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771         Web:    http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov

          Visit SimSat at http://simsat.gsfc.nasa.gov