DSP-TDD's: A new AMRAD project?

Richard Barth Richard.Barth@noaa.gov
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:48:54 -0400

A couple of days ago, I got a note from Ed Cummings, N3KOW, who buys up used
TDDs at hamfests, fixes them up and gives them to deaf people who can't afford
to buy new ones.  He had picked up an elderly box at Timonium and, after
finding the HEX web site, wrote to ask me what I knew about the thing.

We talked about that for a while, then he asked whether I knew of any work
being
done to modify DSP-based modems to handle TDD mode as well as the various
ASCII
modes.  I suggested that, since AMRAD has a group of DSP hackers and is always
looking for new and interesting projects, he might want to come to a
meeting and
pitch the idea to the group.

He's interested, and also knows of some people who have done this sort of
thing
before (although for a different purpose  :-).  Before he makes the trip down
from Philadelphia, though, we ought to make sure we have somebody (or a group
of somebodies) willing and able to take on a job like that.  Volunteers?
Expressions of interest?

If anybody wants to step forward, we can suggest some dates and times for Ed
to come in.  He sounds like the sort of guy who ought to know more about
AMRAD.
Mebbe the start of a Philadelphia chapter?  :-)

The latest round of email is shown below.

73,

Dick

--
Richard Barth, W3HWN          * Director, Ofc of Radio Frequency Management
Phone: 301-713-1853           *     U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA