[Lowfer] PSK31 vs. CW

John Matz jematz@megsinet.net
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:02:51 -0600

Hi all
PSK31 in the BPSK mode needs 6 to 10 dB S/N in a 30 Hz bandwidth.  CW at 12
wpm or CCW needs 6-10 dB S/N in about a 10 Hz bandwidth as I recall.  If
one copies "by ear", he'll need about a 30 Hz bandwidth too.  So PSK31 at 1
watt continuous is about the same as CCW on-off keyed at 1 watt on (0.5
watt average).  Maybe CCW at 12 wpm (10 baud) electronically detected is at
most 5 dB better.  BPSK is commonly run at 10 baud too, so it's 5 dB better
than PSK31 at 31 baud.  The big plus on BPSK is the even slower data rates
possible and the "deep grabs" that allow even more effective noise
reduction (another 3 to 10 dB).

I think that's a pretty close description.  Others?

John Matz KB9II

----------
> From: Andre' Kesteloot <akestelo@bellatlantic.net>
> To: AMRAD Tacos <tacos@amrad.org>; lowfer <lowfer@qth.net>
> Subject: [Lowfer] PSK31 vs. CW
> Date: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 7:45 PM
>
> Interesting.  I thought all along that PSK31 was going to offer an
advantage
> over CW, but the message below does not appear to support that theory
> Andre' N4ICK
> ************************
> Dave wrote:
>
> > Dear all.
> >
> > Apologies to all those who wondered what the warbly carrier around
136.2kHz
> > was these past few evenings (especially to those I accidentally QRM'd
by
> > coming up on 136.5 tonight, oops..). It was PSK31 tests with OH1TN, he
asked
> > me to use the low end of the band as the top end is too noisy over
there.
> > Tonight we finally made it and the first PSK31 QSO from G/OH was made
at
> > 2240 on 10/11/99. This is also the longest distance worked on PSK31 on
LF,