active antenna

k2dx k2dx@arrl.net
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 01:44:40 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C17AD2.E8B3C1A0

I wonder if anyone could offer some help with a receiving difficulty on =
160 m. ( must seem like vhf to your group).

In the CQ 160 ssb contest I have operated the past two years portable =
here in South Jersey, from a salt marsh on Delaware Bay. Transmit is =
quite good, using a helium filled weather balloon supporting a half wave =
vertical. Receiving Europeans has been a problem . I think possibly it's =
related to the large tx antenna, coupling to the rx ant. First year was =
a beverage, last year an end fire array of delta loop shaped pennants 30 =
ft high at apex. seperation to tx ant about 600 ft. Preamps ICE.

Would your small active antenna possibly be less likely to hear =
reradiated noise?

How robust is the transistor in regards to a nearby kw ?

How would the transistor behave for weak signal work with the band being =
"trashed" during the contest? Would a different transistor with greater =
power handling be a better choice?

Any thoughts on using two of these suitably phased in an end fire =
configuration to obtain directivity?

I read with interest of your Nag's Head expedition. I go to Ocracoke =
Island (south of Hatteras) and have operated mobile on the beach there. =
Three years ago I used a kite supported 300 ft wire great results, not =
for a contest.=20

73, Fred   k2dx (kb2bf)

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C17AD2.E8B3C1A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I wonder if anyone could offer some =
help with a=20
receiving difficulty on 160 m. ( must seem like vhf to your =
group).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In the CQ 160 ssb contest </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>I have operated the past two years portable here in South =
Jersey, from a=20
salt marsh&nbsp;on Delaware Bay. Transmit is quite good, </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>using a helium filled weather balloon supporting a half wave=20
vertical.&nbsp;Receiving Europeans has been a problem . I think possibly =
it's=20
related to the large tx antenna, coupling to the rx ant. First year was =
a=20
beverage, last year an end fire array of delta loop shaped pennants 30 =
ft high=20
at apex. seperation to tx ant about 600 ft. Preamps ICE.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Would your small active antenna =
possibly be less=20
likely to hear reradiated noise?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How robust is the transistor in regards =
to a nearby=20
kw ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How would the transistor behave for =
weak signal=20
work with the band being "trashed" during the contest? Would a different =

transistor with greater power handling be a better choice?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any thoughts on using two of these =
suitably phased=20
in an end fire configuration to obtain directivity?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I read with interest of your Nag's Head =
expedition.=20
I go to Ocracoke Island (south of Hatteras) and have operated mobile on =
the=20
beach there. Three years ago I used a kite supported 300 ft wire great =
results,=20
not for a contest. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>73, Fred&nbsp;&nbsp; k2dx =
(kb2bf)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C17AD2.E8B3C1A0--