A DSP project for consderation

Bob Bruninga bruninga@usna.edu
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:19:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Alex Fraser wrote:

> I think teaching kids morse code as a gateway into ham radio is a bad
> idea.   When someone offers morse code to them, teach them to
> "Just say  NO".

Actually, I am a non CW person in general, but my experience with
middle-school kids is that they have no interest in talking to a bunch of
old farts on the radio by voice.  But they do get excited about CW.

(see http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/darth.txt on this subject)

THis is very age-group specific.  8th grade and higher, forget it.  By
then, they have other interests and if they are interested in HAM radio,
it will be voice or technical.  But 7th grade and lower, they seem to
think of CW as something "cool", interesting, and when QSO'ing in CW,
there is no AGE discrimination.

Shucks, all of them already own FRS radios and they see nothing new to
HAM radio in voice...

So I agree that CW is NO ATTRACTION to new HAMS.... but that like night
and day, for kids 12 and under, CW does get more interest than I
expected...

Bob