[Lf] [Fwd: LF: No US Ham Band]

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Sat May 17 17:12:14 CDT 2003

Gary Peterson wrote:

> I understand that at one point a 73 kHz shared allocation was being
> talked about and that UK hams were authorized to use that band for a
> while, back in 1996.  Do you think the ARRL would consider petitioning
> the FCC for ham privileges between 71.6-74.4 kHz?
>
> I know some fixed European stations have frequency allocations in that
> area.  Are there PLC concerns associated with that portion of the
> spectrum as well?

Hello Gary,
Yes the 73 kHz band is still in use in the UK but, as I understand it,
is due to be phased out in the near future. As far as I know, no new
user may be authorized to use that band in the UK.
One of the early advantages of 73 kHz was that one could use regular
high power Hi-Fi audio amplifiers whose bandwidth would easily extend
that high.
Now that we better control the problem of building transmitters with
cheap Power MosFETs, that advantage has really disappeared.
The problems of  radiating any kind of power at all at 73 kHz are a good
deal worse than at 136 kHz, and I would not see any advantage to that
band. One of the challenges that motivated us was the idea of
trans-atlantic QSOs on 136 kHz. That has now been effectively killed by
our dear FCC wizards.
As far as the PLCs are concerned, you understand, I am sure, that they
do not have any privilege on 136 either. They are secondary users.  I
have no idea whether they have equipment on 73, as they would not even
tell us the frequencies they use on the LF band
73
André  N4ICK