5meter radio, AMRAD: A History Question

Michael Hawley mike at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 4 08:15:52 CST 2003

Greetings, and a history question.

I had a phone call from legendary explorer Brad Washburn.
He wants to know about early 5 meter radios, and recalls that in the
1930's,
an outfit called AMRAD supplied some of the first that were used to link
the Mount Washington weather station and Blue Hill (I believe).
Around that time, Brad's team used similar systems on Mount Crillon
in Alaska, and may have been the first mountaineering expedition
to use radio.

Brad needs an expert (or event an authority) in this pocket of history
for a quick chat.

Thanks for any leads.

Michael Hawley
MIT