Primex EmPower

Richard Barth Richard.Barth at noaa.gov
Sun Dec 7 22:53:20 CST 2003

There are (at least) two organizations writing rules for the airborne
use of electronics.  The FCC prohibits the use of cell phones because of
the possibility of interference to the network; at umpteen thousand feet
you can tie up a number of repeaters and so roach the network for other
users.  Not sure whether they have other prohibitions.

The FAA has its own rules, which generally prohibit the use of any
deliberate emitter (radio transmitter) which has not been approved by
the aircraft operator.  So, if you own the plane, you write the rules
which are accordingly of primary interest to those flying commercial.
Lacking the approval of the the airline involved, radio transmitters and
  receivers are generally prohibited in flight, with their use on the
ground (e.g. only when the doors are open, only when the wheels are on
the deck, etc.) varying according to which airline you're flying.  So,
forget ham radio, GPS receivers, and generally most everything.  The
jury is still out on wireless LANs, since something call "Connexions by
Boeing" allegedly has been approved to provide wireless connectivity to
laptops in flight.  I don't have the specifics; maybe somebody else can
provide those.

Also FYI, RTCA Inc. (formerly the Radio Technical Commission for
Avionics) has a special committee in the process of writing
recommendations for new FAA rules on the subject of Personal Electronic
Devices (PEDs) aboard aircraft.  Stay tuned...

73,

Dick