Scanning Tunneling Microscope

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 4 11:41:35 CST 2004

I first found out about STMs back around 1985 when I was working on SDI
and we had a nice presentation at one of our conferences on these.  I
had a side discussion with the presenter and it was evident that a
person could make one of these as a home project.  I never followed up
on it but thought about it from time to time.

Now I see such a project on the internet that looks pretty realistic.
It can resolve atoms and such at extremely fine detail.  .  They provide
design details in an openly available design so you can build your own
See the impressive pictures they got with their version.

I am getting that itch again.

See <http://sxm4.uni-muenster.de/stm-en/>

Frank K0BRA