Earth's Magnetic Field

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 12 18:27:11 CDT 2004

See below for details.  Just imagine if the earth's magnetic field
reversed.

Where is the north end of a magnet. and where is the Earth's north pole?

Do we have to change the right hand rule to the left hand rule?

Do we have to remark each little magnet we own to rename the north and
south ends?

Does the electron charge become positive?

IF so, what is the charge on a positron?

Which way does current flow?

The confusion could become huge.  Do we set up giant currents in giant
coils to try to keep our existing magnetic field polarity?

Do we outlaw electric current as we may deduce our electicity is causing
this problem?

Here is the article reporting an article that portends such a possibility.

Frank K0BRA

**NYT: COLLAPSE OF THE EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD ACCELERATES
Mon Jul 12 2004 18:17:38 ET

The collapse of the earth's magnetic field, which both guards the planet
and guides many of its creatures, appears to have started in earnest
about 150 years ago, the NY TIMES is planning to report on Page Ones
Tuesday.

Science reporter Bill Broad has filed a report, according to newsroom
sources, which explores how: 'The field's strength has waned 10 percent
to 15 percent so far and this deterioration has accelerated of late,
increasing debate over whether it portends a reversal of the lines of
magnetic force that normally envelop the earth."

Broad explains: "During a reversal, the main field weakens, almost
vanishes, and then reappears with opposite polarity. Afterward, compass
needles that normally point north would point south, and during the
thousands of years of transition much in the heavens and Earth would go
askew."

Broad claims: "A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts
and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras
flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals
that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid."

Developing...
**