[Fwd: LF: MW]

Frank Gentges metavox at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 16 15:44:24 CST 2004

Alex,

That, indeed, is the IF frequency.  The lousy design of today's AM
receivers lets the 453 kHz signal go right into the IF strip to
interfere with whatever station you tune to.  At least with an external
antenna.  That is the case with my high end Luxman stereo receiver and a
Sansui Quadraphonic receiver.

It seems all the hi-fi/stereo/quad stuff has this lousy AM front end
design.  The lab is in Loudoun county and I have to add an outdoor
antenna on the roof to get enough signal clear of all the inside
interference.  Along with the clean AM signal comes this 453 kHz signal.
  I added a tuned filter on the front end and it fixes the problem.

Frank