Experimenter hf net organizing

Terry Fox wb4jfi at knology.net
Tue Aug 8 09:52:38 CDT 2006

For a first step for receive-only stations, I could probably get an RX-320
or PCR-1000 receiver running with an active antenna (Frank's e-field probe)
fairly quickly.  I could use that for both our work here, plus the propnet -
timehare the radio via the computer.

Frank, maybe we should look at standardizing a receive package with an
RX-320, active antenna (antenna tuning driven via computer and cheap A/D
converter), plus some sort of cheap computer as we have been talking about.
Would the LF active antenna up to 10 meters?  I don't remember the specs,
and a lot of books, magazines, etc are still packed up somewhere (garage).

I would like to have a separate receive-only propogation and experimental
protocol system from whatever I use in the shack, or from the main HF
experimentation station.  That way, a major radio and antenna is not locked
into whatever we are doing at the moment.

I am looking into a random wire around the garage first, then around the
whole house, plus an automatic antenna tuner, as my ability to string up
antennas for each freq is somewhat limited....
Terry