Experimenter hf net organizing

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 24 22:18:35 CDT 2006

Dave,

You pose some interesting questions.

David A Aitcheson - KB3EFS wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Has any consideration been given to doing a kit for this antenna
> project?
AMRAD has not wanted to get into the kit business like some other groups
have done.  Historically, kits get clubs into trouble where members
don't want to spend time putting together kits, builders that have
unrealistic expectations, checks bounce etc.  As time progresses, I may
choose to do some kits at my own company.  Putting these up on eBay with
a "Buy it Now" using PayPal could streamline the process.

> On first glance this antenna would be the "ideal standard" for a station
> that is going to be set up as a lurker.  Say a _RX only_ 10m or 20m
> station that is being run my a SWL or a Technician licensed ham; or for
> that matter a school that does not have a licensed ham on staff but the
> teacher wants to promote ham radio.
A good learning experience for students.

> My thinking is... a standard antenna, and a standard receiver (RX-320)
> should equal a standard system that would yield repeatable and results
> from any one signal source.  Thus given: station A received at 1, 2, 3,
> 4, etc. would only vary due to propagation differences caused by
> ionospheric changes. The same should be measurable in cases of B, C, D,
> etc. transmitting to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
Yes.  A lot of receiving variables can be eliminated.

> If the transmitters are all of the same make/model and set to the same
> power levels and feeding as nearly identical antennas as possible with
> the controlling being done by (maybe networked) PIC controllers; then
> true scientific studies can really begin I think.
You have good thoughts.  I like the idea of teaching students to collect
data and then to try and make sense out of it.  Maybe we can make some
of them into hams with interest in HF radio.

> Have I interpreted correctly your plans. Thoughts?
You are adding to my thinking here.  We may end up an aggregate of fine
work here.  If we can break the project into small pieces then each
person can add their part and nobody has to do a big effort for the
project.

I would like to piggyback short text messages onto the probe signals.
Essentially a 24/7 data link on HF.

I think I could make the active antenna better with just a bit of effort
and time. I have had past suggestions for kits and for assembled
antennas.  Maybe I need to rethink how I could do this.

Frank K0BRA