AMRAD Linux CD

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 1 22:33:15 CDT 2006

Rob, Maitland,

As I see it, the diversity of the AMRAD membership can cover a lot of
the areas of expertise needed to not only cover the operating system but
the number of amateur radio areas of interest.  That is our real
strength.  Now, if we can reach critical mass (interest outside the
small group at the tacos table on Saturdays) the core group will take
the time and effort to build up the parts and pieces to make the whole
an interesting product.

AMRAD has avoided kitting up messy little projects as other ham clubs
have done, primarily because of all the problems of getting money, parts
and everything together to handle a primarily production job while still
remaining friends.  This job would not make money but instead relate to
a CD image.  I think the CD image is more in line with our group.  We
must realize there is a group of email readers out there beyond the
tacos crowd that we don't here from much but properly motivated/excited
they could contribute a lot.  Also don't forget Terry in Florida and
Dave in Texas.  They can participate over the Internet while not having
their minds poisoned at the tacos table with what we might assume any
user would obviously know and does not need to have clearly explained.

Funwise, if the project creates interest, it should be more fun than
kitting up a bunch of parts bags and energize an internal desire in each
member to serve fellow hams.  Once done, we don't have to have tables of
members hunched over zip bags or mailing labels.  In this respect,
software and the Internet is far easier than hardware to distribute.
However, it does not generate a bunch of income for us to hold wild parties.

We cannot know where this will all lead until we have made some progress
and see how much interest surfaces.  I agree with Rob that if it is a
really interesting package we will find the bandwidth.

Once an alpha is released, I think the AMRAD members will help refine
the CD into a tasty product like a fine bottle of wine.  AMRAD may be in
a better position to create a LINUX distribution for hams that DEBIAN
because of our diversity and depth of ham expertise.

Frank K0BRA