First QSO with Soft Rock Exciter

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Sun Oct 1 22:20:30 CDT 2006

Well, at 855PM tonight, I made my first QSO with the soft rock prototype
exciter.  It was on 40 meter CW, running 1/2 watt.  The FlexRadio SDR
software has a fairly steep learning curve, and I had to change cables
around between Tx and Rx (no break-in operations yet).  First you need two
sound cards, then you need two serial ports.  A poor laptop just cannot keep
up!  I don't understand how the PowerSDR software will be used with newer
laptops, that have NO serial ports.

I talked with another Terry, WU9F, in Madison, WI.  He gave me only a 449
report, but said the signal got better as the QSO progressed.

Attached are two photos of the radio stack as used on the air.  Yes, clip
leads were used for power, making this a legal AMRAD project.  The lowest
board is the soft rock version 6.1 receiver, the middle board is the QSE
exciter, and the top board is the 1/2 Watt PA.

The hobby is fun again!!
Terry

Also attached is a picture of a new smaller alligator that was across the
lake yesterday, we call him Son of Sammy.