Spam ? - Re: Soft Rock exciter update

Frank Gentges metavox at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 10:57:26 CDT 2006

Rob,

At first glance this looks like a good choice from several viewpoints.
The USB interface to isolate the A/D circuits has the potential to
improve the S/N.  The price is right.

At some point I want to try one of these out but at the moment, I am not
sure how I would test it to the limits we expect.  Perhaps a super clean
source of two audio tones as input and a FFT package on the digital
output to see the intermod products and noise levels.

We can generate super clean tones using a pair of simple oscillator with
a passive L/C bandpass filter on each one.  The filter outputs should be
added resistively if the oscillator output levels were high enough so in
the end the composite tone signal were at the required line level.

We could just use the sound card under test to write out a file.  If we
use a .wav format, the samples would be limited to 16 bits if I remember
correctly.  An FFT package should be sitting somewhere out there on the
shelf that would suffice for this testing.  We need to find it.

I don't see a Linux driver on the M-Audio web site.  A quick Google
search finds some talk on the Ubunto Forum and it appears to work well
but needs some grooming to work.  AMRAD could help make this better if
we want to put this card on our "good" list.

Thanks for steering everyone to this nice card.

Frank