[Fwd: Re: SKYWARN Recognition Day]

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu Nov 9 19:58:19 CST 2006

"Robert E. Seastrom" <rs at seastrom.com> writes:

> It's actually not appreciably close to the north end of 1L.  That's
> why they're going to have to move it for the new runway - it's far
> enough from the existing 1L that the "new" 1L can be put there.  I
> think the horizontal separation requirement is 1000 feet but don't
> quote me; google didn't find it.

replying to my own mail here, the magic numbers turn out to be 4300
feet and 2500 feet.

http://www.faa.gov/programs/oep/v6/Smart%20Sheets/AW/AW-5%20V6.htm

horizontal separation of 1R and 1L at dulles is on the order of
6000-6500 feet.  the complex at LWX is about 3500 feet west and 2000
feet north of the threshold of 19R.  A runway built 5000 feet west of
the existing 1L/19R runway would have its extended centerline pointed
at the intersection of Thunder Rd. and Weather Service Rd.

                                        ---rob