Finally, aCoffee Resistant External Hard Drive!

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Wed Dec 6 08:46:28 CST 2006

  I-O Data Device's Mobile External HDD Endures Water up to 1-M Depth

Dec 01, 2006 19:11

Test under water

<http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20061201/124856/?SS=imgview_e&FD=-430106941>

When connected with notebook PC

<http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20061201/124856/?SS=imgview_e&FD=-446512043>

In mid December 2006, I-O Data Device, Inc. will release the "HDMC-U
series" mobile external HDD lineup, which boasts high resistance to
water and shock. With a waterproof rubber material wrapped around the
HDD inside the outer body, water is prevented from penetrating into the
HDD to a depth of 1 m. If the HDD gets dirt on it, it is possible to
gently rinse it off with pure water. The HDD is also shock-resistant
against a fall from height of around a pocket on the chest. The company
said it confirmed the HDD's normal performance after a total of 26 times
of proving tests, in which the HDD in off mode was dropped from a height
of 122 cm against each surface, line and corner (6 surfaces + 12 lines +
8 corners).

The company assumes the HDD will be put in a pocket or such to carry
data. The company developed this product to address the reported cases
in which customers accidentally dropped USB memory and other devices
used in a similar way as an external HDD into water in a toilet, wash
bowl, etc.

The HDD features a USB 2.0/1.0 interface. It measures 52.0(W) x 59.5(D)
x 18.0(H) mm.