LCD Monitors for SDR Displays

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 5 21:48:35 CST 2007

Tacoistas,

We have been watching and buying in the current LCD monitor wars.
Several discussions have ensued on Saturdays around the table whilst
consuming tacos.

The high end high resolution monitors of 6 months ago are now showing up
with discounters at very tempting prices.  I bought a really nice 24
inch, 1920x1200 pixel monitor from the Costco web site recently for less
than $350.  That deal has disappeared now while others have replaced it.

Similarly, we have watched HDTVs some out and prices dropping.  The
problem is the resolution is staying fixed at a maximum of 1920 x 1080
pixels for a few sets while most are being built with a maximum native
resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels.  For use with computers and SDR
displays this is good but.....

The news now is that HP has come out with the LP3065C monitor which has
a 30 inch diagonal measurement.  This monitor is similar to the Apple 30
inch Cinema display which sells for $1799 today and sold for $2500 last
year.  Not only is it 30" but it has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels
so it is not just a rehashed HDTV.

They call it a consumer device and do not specify the number of colors.
  I suspect it is less than 8 bits per plane which would be 32 bit
color.  It is probably 6 bits per plane or 18 bit color (more or less
depending on internal processing and dithering).

If you want to put this on your PC you will need a special video card
that will output half on one DVI channel/connector and the other half on
a second DVI channel/connector.  Unlike its smaller bretherin, it will
only work at the specified resolution.  You cannot just connect it up to
your old VGA connector to try it out or use it.

Once up and running, think of the detailed presentation you could get.
My first thoughts go to LinRAD and WinRAD waterfall display 30 inches
big and with 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution.  Of course, LinRAD and WinRAD
would have to be specially written to provide that kind of resolution.
Down in the engine room, the computer has to provide the spectral data
for this monster.  The work needed climbs at least by the square and
probably more to feed the new monitor.  Multicore processors may be
mandatory to run all the processes.

Anyway, it is impressive to think about.  I think of the monitor,
software and processor as giving you the ability to see into the heart
of a signal.  It is kinda like getting a new and more powerful
microscope to look at the water in the lake down the street.  The bigger
and better views reveal new and unseen things that go unseen with lesser
equipment now and in the past.

These HP monitors are now selling in the range of $1300 but the history
of prices is that they will go to half in 6 months and then half again
in a year.  Asia has tooled up to build TFT screens in large and
economical quantities for HDTV and now they have chosen to build more
resolution for computers.  We will benefit from their volume production
cost reductions.

I suspect Alberto, I2PHD, (AMRAD member) author of WinRAD is already
thinking about getting to these higher resolutions.  Boy, what a sight
we will have in store for us when this is all available.  We are
starting to reap the benefits and spinoffs of HDTV.

We now return you to the present reality.

Frank K0BRA