6 Meter long wire matching

Tom Azlin, N4ZPT n4zpt at cox.net
Sat Jan 5 20:59:59 CST 2008

Hi Bob,

Well, with a half wave the quarter wave point is 72 ohms.  With a
resonate antenna it should be resistive no matter where you check. When
you stack more half waves the end effect shifts the minimum impedance
point but there should be a place where it is back to 72 ohms or such.
Ground effects would I thought reduce the impedance.  Sounds like a
question for Mike Toia, K3MV, our local antenna engineer.

I guess we can just make them and then try it both ways.  Is there a way
in the model so search for the low impedance point and see what it turns
out to be?

Mike - we are looking at making a long 6 meter antenna of perhaps 6 wave
lengths or more.  And feed it from a good point. I was thinking that a
quarter wave in it would be back to a low impedance not much different
than feeding a half wave in the center. But modeling it gave 400 ohms or
so. We are operating monoband. What would you say here?

Thanks and 73, Tom Azlin n4zpt