How We Went From Tapping Code to Radio Shows

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Tue Jan 29 19:27:40 CST 2008

Tom,

I also wondered how the AM signal could be demodulated. According to
Wikipedia, Fessenden invented the hot wire barretter in 1902 so it is
possible that some stations were equipped with this demodulator prior to his
1906 transmission. Presumably there was at least one other station equipped
to receive his signal but it strains credulity to claim that stations "up
and down the coast" heard his transmission.

73 Karl W4KRL