How We Went From Tapping Code to Radio Shows

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jan 29 20:48:39 CST 2008

I've often wondered if the coherer is wholly incapable of demodulating
an AM signal, or simply incapable of demodulating an AM signal that
anyone would actually want to listen to.  It's not hard to imagine a
Fessenden transmission with a coherer-demodulated signal that sounded
raspy and barely intelligible, but obviously not a spark transmission
either.  The wonder would not be what the dog said, but rather the
novelty of a talking dog.

                                        ---rob