Digital radio issues

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Tue Apr 1 20:57:42 CDT 2008

I used to service these digital trunked radios when I worked in two-
way radio.  Give me analog any day!  Any radio that requires
"training" for the operator to wait a couple seconds before speaking
in order for the connection to sync does not belong in public safety.
When seconds are critical, one does not patiently wait for their radio
to be ready.

The public is being fed a bunch of bull with EVERYTHING going
digital.  Digital does not make everything better.  I can watch a
somewhat snowy picture on the TV.  With digital, you may not see the
picture at all.

I have a HD Radio that was given to me for a gift.  If you receive the
station full quieting on the analog channel, the digital sounds
great.  If the reception is mediocre, the digital channel generally
will not lock.  So what happens when congress in all their wisdom
eventually turns off the analog signal?

The fact that broadcast radio and television is going digital should
have meant we'd work on world compatibility standards.  'Fraid not.
Some big corporate dollars padded somebody's pockets.

73,
Joe, N6DGY
Pleasant Grove, Utah