SDR-14 Used to copy Mars Phoenix Lander

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Wed May 28 14:44:26 CDT 2008

Tom,

The Green Bank antenna area/ 12 Ft Dish area = 744:1

1000:1 is 30 dB in power, 631:1 is 28 Db.  So that is about a 29 dB
disadvantage our hapless AMRAD member has if he can match the noise
figure of the Green Bank front end.

If it were a standard NTSC color signal and all we wanted to do was to
detect was the carrier, we could probably pull it out. Depending on
transmitter power and the modulation chosen, when the MPL starts sending
data we might sift out the carrier with a very narrowband filter. I
doubt there is as much room on the MPL signal as with the NTSC signal.

Frank K0BRA