Playing With UV LEDs

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Thu Jun 5 23:52:30 CDT 2008

Hey all,

Been having some fun with some UV LEDs bought at Dayton.

I've had a collection of uranium glass marbles for ages, and have
never had a black light to see their brilliant green glow as they
fluoresce under UV light.  I modified a 14 LED torch with UV LEDs.
Now I just need to be aware of the precautions of UV, which
surprisingly apply to the LEDs.

Take a look at this quick little gallery.  You can see a bunch of 1
inch "shooter" marbles under normal light and under the UV torch.
There is also a photo of about 50 small marbles in a jar with a
humorous "RADIOACTIVE" sticker.

See:  http://gallery.mac.com/jwbento and click on "UV TORCH"

Now I just need to pick up a geiger counter.  The radiation from these
marbles is low enough to be harmless, though apparently they will
register on a counter.

Fun Stuff!!

73,
Joe, N6DGY