Playing With UV LEDs

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 6 20:13:02 CDT 2008

First, those that missed the UV LEDs at Dayton that Joe found can get a
fist full on eBay for cheap.  Look in

Business & Industrial>
Electrical & Test Equipment>
Electronic Components>
LEDs

Most are from China.  So far I have had good dealings from China on
cheap stuff.  I would not spend any more that I was willing to lose on a
bad deal though.  Watch for ads with superbright without specifying the
brightness, maybe they are and maybe they are not.

In the past, white LEDs were UV LEDs with some phosphor.  I suspect the
really bright ones may use another principle now.

Second,  Look on eBay for Geiger counters model CDV700.  These are
almost all from the 1950s and 1960s Fall Out Shelters.  Most work but
may be a little be short on calibration.  There are several versions but
generally work on some D cells.  If you pay serious money, like above
$10, make sure it works.  Several people on eBay only sell tested units
but costs may be around $50.  I have one in each car just in case....

There is a Yahoo group called CDV700CLUB with talk on all sorts of
issues.  Join up before spending any money.

As Joe says, 'fun stuff'.  I always like things that sense or work
outside the normal range of the senses.

Frank K0BRA