Programmer's Hostility Towards Beginners

WB4JFI wb4jfi at knology.net
Sun Jul 6 22:57:53 CDT 2008

Hello there Joseph.

As one who continues to travel the self-taught roads of C programming, and
PIC programming as well, I am sorry to hear of your recent issues.  It could
be that some of these professional programmers simply have too much on their
plate already.

I've seen curt answers in amateur Yahoo groups as well as programming forums
lately.  It seems to the the in-thing.  Many times, a response may be as
simple as:  already answered, search the archives, to something a lot less
civil.  Usually, there is a weak ego behind the flamboyant,
I-know-and-you-don't style non-responses.  I just move on at that point.

I have also noticed that this "attitude" seems to be bred into some (not
all) Unix and Linux people.  If you are not part of the in-click (with your
Unix Wizard's degree), it is hard to get straight info sometimes.  Having
messed with Linux some in the past, I just figure that it comes with the
territory.  Eventually, I get most of my answers by either finding a
sympathetic person, or doing enough testing to figure it out myself.

I've been playing with 16F84A's and 16F877's in the past, and now have done
some 18F2550 (USB) stuff for the Yahoo dds_controller group.

PICs are great fun.  Writing in C or assembly for PICs makes life easier for
me, while others really like Basic.  In any event, I encourage you to keep
up with it.  You will have a lot of fun.

Terry
WB4JFI