Programmer's Hostility Towards Beginners

WB4JFI wb4jfi at knology.net
Sun Jul 6 23:42:34 CDT 2008

Joe:

The only negative that I could come up with regarding your email was that it
might be somewhat vague and open-ended to an expert.  He/She might not know
where to begin..  do you know any programming languages?  Have you absorbed
any programming from your work experiences?  Which PICs, specifically?
etc...

But, from how you describe the response, it must be a lot more of a
brush-off.  Forget him, then.  Look at, and learn from his/her code and
diagrams, but don't take it personally.

I use the PICKit2 as well for initially loading a "bootloader" into the
18F2455/2550 series of PICs, then I program the user code starting where the
bootloader will place it (0x00400).  Makes life much easier.

My regular tools are the Microchip MPASM and C18 C compiler (free version).
Since the 18F2550 series connects to the host via USB, no RS232 ports, ICSP,
or other tricks required after the bootloader is in place.  No worrying
about fuses (usually).  I also use a version of the CCS C compiler for the
16F series PICs, plus the usual assembler in MPASM.

I strongly recommend that you get your hands dirty, and try using, then
modifying someone elses C code for a project that you are interested in.
Several times, I have worried that as I play with a new area of the PIC
(interrupts, A/D, timers, serial, etc), I will have major issues.  Each
time, I have been pleasently surprised how easy it actually was.

Believe me, programming for a PIC is a LOT easier than programming for
Windows!!

I would stick with one language (C or assembler or Basic), and not try to do
too many things at once.  Coming from somebody who used to hand-assemble
8008 code, I can say that generally I prefer C these days.  The PIC C
compilers are usually a lot more efficient than for other target systems.
They need to be, as there is little program or data space.  Once you are
experienced with the higher-level language, then you can play with the
assembler if you want/need.  I rarely look at assembly language anymore,
that that's saying something!!

Have you looked at the beginner PIC programming books advertised in Nuts and
Volts and Circuit Cellar?  They may be a good place to start as well.  I
seem to remember Easy PIC'N as one title... I could not find an ad in the
latest issue of N&V...  Check out:
http://www.sq-1.com/

Good luck.
Terry