WTB DC to DC converter to use Dell Laptop in a 12 vehicle + a second item

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Tue Aug 5 13:53:45 CDT 2008

I bought one at a hamfest a few years ago for my HP Pavilion. Can't say I
ever did any serious RFI testing but never noticed any problem. The
nameplate says NotebookParts.com but Googling the model number turns up a
lot of suppliers such as allforlaptops.com and laptoppartsshop.com. My
specific part number is SYD1109-6019. It appears to be made with the same
(good) quality as an OEM 120Vac supply. Input is 10-15Vdc @ 6.5A. Output is
19Vdc @3.16A (exactly like the OEM 120Vac supply.) I think I paid about $25
at the show. Haven't seen any since.

By the way, this is much more efficient than plugging your 120Vac charger
into an inverter. This way there are three stages of power conversion versus
six:

[DC-DC Supply]         [inverter]     [OEM charger]
[inv./xfmr./rect.] <=> [inv./xfmr.] + [rect./inv./xfmr./rect.]

The dc-dc converter may have an efficiency of say 92% while the inverter and
OEM charger may each be about 90% for an overall efficiency of 81%.

73 Karl W4KRL