Gee Whizzers, Batman! this is a freakin' CELLPHONE processor?

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 30 23:49:59 CDT 2008

Tacoistas,

Wholly Crap, this thing is way overkill for a simple SDR.  It is more
like an SDR (xmit and receive) plus an entire terminal function with 3D
video cameras, 3D displays, mikes, USB ad nausium/ad vomitus.  And all
on one little chip.

You will need a large staff of computer engineers to sort out your new
product and all the embedded processors.  The Silicon Errata shows how
these very complex multiprocessor chips will not interact in as friendly
a way as the preliminary data sheet might imply.  If you are working
with this fine chip you will really really want this Silicon Errata as
well as building your own library of otherwise undocumented things that
don't work quite as you might expect.  Think of the man-hours you will
invest just in staff meetings devoted to discovering how the different
parts really interact.

This fine chip is only available in ball grid array packages.  There is
no wire wrapping a prototype with this puppy. Neither can you just sweat
solder down a few rows of gull wing lead either. If you thought surface
mount took special stuff and skills, the ball grid array takes assembly
equipment and skills to a whole new level of frustration.  A high
resolution Xray viewer will find those errant solder balls as well as
missing solder balls hidden underneath the chip that are keeping it all
from working.

If I send TI a check for $58 I will get back not only one, but if I act
now, 10, no, no but wait, if I act really quick, 100 of these fine
chips.  Operators are standing by.  Wow! You can get a monster sized
headache for only 58 cents apiece.  I suspect the development kit is way
beyond the 58 cent chip price.  That developement board/kit could be a
hoot if I could only figure it all out.

I am almost tempted to send off a check so I can pass out these chips at
tacos to challenge everyone to build a multifunction radio.  I wonder if
they take PayPal?

Now back to my old SDR-IQ and my Hallicrafters SX-16.

Frank K0BRA