Trying again - SDR hardware and software

WB4JFI wb4jfi at knology.net
Fri Oct 10 16:54:51 CDT 2008

Hey Sean, thanks for the quick reply.

I am now using Ubuntu, whatever the latest is (8.04/Heron?), on two
computers, and an older Ubuntu 7.0x version on my laptop.

For now, I would recommend a copy of QT 4.4.1 (with the 4.4.1 Eclipse
integration) and Eclipse 3.2.0.  If you cannot find all three, use the
latest: QT 4.4.3 with their latest Eclipse Integration, and Eclipse 3.2.1.

The problem that we are seeing with the latest combination is that custom
widgets cannot be added to the QT Designer widget menu.  You are supposed to
compile QT with a couple of special compile flags if you plan to add custom
widgets.  Unfortunately, that doesn't work right now, which TrollTech
acknowledges and says will be corrected in the next release.  Except, that
problem has been in the last couple of releases.

If you use Eclipse, you will also need Java, but not necessarily netbeans.
QT seems overkill, but it's what is available.  Frankly, Visual Studio 2008
Express editions are easier to use, but they limit you to Windows apps.
With Vista (especially 64-bit) having many driver problems, it seems like
Linux is becoming a good alternative.

BTW, John Melton has a Linux SDR GUI for the SDR-1000 or SoftRocks that is
Java-based.  It is receive-only at the moment, but he is working through
some transmit bugs in his code.

I'm not sure if the two other IDEs (Monkey Studio and EDYUK) will do Java, I
think they are C++ only.
Terry