Incoming President Requests DTV Cutover Delay

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sun Jan 11 11:13:31 CST 2009

the loss of real newspapers is an intellectual
version of run-away outsourcing of development and
manufacturing, not to mention the creation of an
immense "single-point-of-failure" problem.

to wit:

it is much more likely than not that the Internet
is going to break in a fashion that most people will
consider to be catastrophic in the next 3-5 years.
(Note: We can discuss the definition of "break" in the
the context of the Internet all we want, but the perception
by the public is what will matter.)

it is going to be very interesting to see how people
respond to the unavailability of accustomed Internet
information sources, coupled with the strangulation
of print media and the demise of over-the-air television
with the concommitant decimation of traditional news-gathering
functions of the big TV networks.

maybe radio enjoys a renaissance?

i dunno - but i suspect it will get ugly before it
gets better.

	-mo