Incoming President Requests DTV Cutover Delay

A. Maitland Bottoms aa4hs at amrad.org
Thu Feb 5 16:03:35 CST 2009

Michael O'Dell writes:
 > i would bet a large beer that there's at most two
 > really different hardware designs in the boxes.
 > things like this these days are almost always
 > "reference designs" supplied by the chip companies
 > and built by the white-box ODMs in Asia. sometimes
 > they change the shape of the circuit boards just
 > for "differentiation", but more often, it just
 > the case clamshells that are different.
 >
 > 	-mo
 >
 > ps - anyone cracked several of the boxes open
 > to see whose parts are inside?

FYI -

EDN Feature:
The ATSC coupon-eligible converter box: a consumer-electronics case study

The pending NTSC shutoff has US consumers clamoring for
rebate-eligible hardware that will stave off the loss of over-the-air
television. How do manufacturers distinguish themselves from opponents
in such a hypercompetitive market?

By Brian Dipert, Senior Technical Editor -- EDN, 2/5/2009

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6632369.html?nid=3351&rid=1500118942

"This article intentionally omits hands-on analysis of the four CECBs'
(coupon-eligible converter boxes') operational capabilities: reception
robustness, audio and video quality, and user-interface
comprehensiveness and responsiveness, for example. I still plan,
however, to pass along such data online."