Re Expanding broadband to bail out economies ???

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri Feb 27 21:03:25 CST 2009

having just looked at all this *again* for the day job,
WildBlue seems to be the better of the two games in town,
the other being the Big Satellite, er Huge Satellite guys.

WildBlue's market is areas with < 100 homes/square-mile

some of the BPL guys are respinning their story so they
can claim "demand response control" and "intelligent metering".
demand-response is where the power company turns off your
air conditioner when you need it the most, and intelligent
metering is, well, a rate table that changes at least hourly
if not much, much faster. that's the Louisville Slugger part
of "carrot and stick".

maybe the BPLers figure that getting in bed with Grid Greening
will make them more immune from those other pesky regulations.
or they are desperate for any story that will let them keep
burning money like it's going out of style.

the folks at Current up in Germantown have burned through
400 million and the word is they are out trying to raise money again.
how many times do you have to turn off the hot water heater to recover
200 million? i dunno.........

	-mo