WTB Transistor array

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Apr 7 14:01:27 CDT 2009

Michael Chisena <ka2zev at yahoo.com> writes:

>  Hi, I'm looking for an array of heavy NPN transistors to make a
>  high current DC power supply test load.  Got a couple of Astron 50
>  amp units to repair, and my home made load tends to smoke when more
>  than 20 amps are run through it. If you have something suitable,
>  shoot me an e mail.

Have you considered a .416 ohm wire wound liquid cooled resistor made
from 140' of #14 THHN-insulated solid copper wire coiled up and
immersed in a 5 gallon bucket of water?  That oughta dissipate your
600 watts of power handily, but be careful to not heat things up to
where you boil all the water away and melt the plastic...

If you're feeling more like driving than making, Harbor Freight makes
something for $15.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93784

I'm betting the wire in the bucket is harder to mess up though.

-r